The story of our adventure in Spain



In October 2002 we purchased a holiday flat in Guardamar on Spain's Costa Blanca - not far from Alicante and Torrevieja and we try to spend a good part of the year in Spain.

This blog hopefully will contain our thoughts and impressions of Spain - the good and the bad and lots and lots of photographs of not only Guardamar but the rest of Spain as we eventually get to explore it.

.

Saturday 4 October 2008

PhotoHunt - Sad


A sad place is certainly a cemetery but they can be fascinating places and give one an insight into other cultures and beliefs. 

This one was constructed in 1947 - ( the year of my birth )  - in Guardamar not far from Alicante

In Spain people are often buried not in the ground as in England or the USA but in niches in the wall. 

Many of the burial places are adorned with flowers and mementoes.

I think this one is really pretty with the pink flowers.

Of course the monuments are often a source of information for family historians and it is vital that they are maintained and records kept.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every November 01 and 02, we remember our departed family and friends, and in a few weeks time, I will visit my dad's grave again. Sad, but that's life.

My Photo Hunt pictures are posted here and here. Happy weekends!

Anonymous said...

You covered the difficult subject with distinction.

philos said...

Yeah... it can be triggers memory of sadness, and like you, a feeling of discovery. I've learned a few things going around cemeteries at least once a year. Excellent choice!

Hootin Anni said...

That really took some thought...but yes, very sad.

My photo hunt is a 'drawing of sad'...stop by, won't you?

Hope your weekend is treating you well.

Gemma Wiseman said...

I agree! This can be a sad place! But a fascinating place to wander and see changing perspectives over time!

jams o donnell said...

I like to visit cemeteries. I've not been to a Spanish one though. Great take on this week's theme

Juliana said...

yes..it is sad place...

Please drop at my PH post also : in HERE or HERE. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Very good choice for the topic. You have some beautiful photos on your blog. Happy weekend.

Lisa said...

I actually love exploring cemeteries as there is so much history and so much to learn.
Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

they surely don't look like the cemeteries in the public cemeteries in the Philippines

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I did something like a cemetery, too. Your photos are beautiful and I love your blog! I will be back!

I did Photo Hunters today, too. I hope you get a chance to visit and post your link. It would make me *happy*!
http://newyorktraveler.net/photo-hunters-sad/

kaycee said...

it is sad place.
but excellent shots....